Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mambo Italiano!



My new roommate, Diane, wanted to eat Chicken Parmesan, and you know I was all about it. Italian is my favorite cuisine! In fact, if you go back far enough in this blog, you will see I've made it before and showed you. So...we started where you should, by shopping.

Back at the home front, I began with a sauce. Please, please, whatever you do,don't use a jar sauce. It doesn't have any wine in it! Nor any other personal touch you wish. If time is an issue, make double the amount, as I have done here, and freeze half of it for later use.

First,chop the mighty Italian trio--onions, peppers (since I'm Texas, today I used jalapenos, seeds and all), and carrots. Yes, carrots. Into a heated sauce pan that has been coated nicely with olive oil. Extra Virgin. Season with sea or kosher salt. Let those sweat till the onions are opaque. Add a bay leaf or two and then garlic--lots of garlic. Don't let the garlic brown! I threw in a half of a large tomato that was just sitting around getting too old for salad. The rule of thumb in the kitchen is manage your food wisely!

Then come the liquids. First a can of tomatoes. Mine were whole, so I had to poke a freshly washed thumb into each over the pot and squeeze them before chopping nicely and then putting them all to pot. Also, I added a small can of tomato sauce and a can of tomato paste, water (about a cup), a can of chicken stock (no msg) and about two and a half cups of red wine (or white, don't fret--just don't use sweet wine).

Now that the liquids are in place, you may add the mushrooms. Any mushrooms will do, but dry add a really great depth of flavor. I used shitaki I got from the Crescent City Flea Market for a song. If you use fresh, chop and add them at the beginning with the onions.

The herbs to add are first and foremost bay leaf and thyme. Then, if you have it, add oregano, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Let that settle and cook till it smells like heaven in your house. At least 30 minutes.

Time to deal with the bird. Use boneless breasts and pound them out thin. I was without any tools, so I improvised with a jar of food. Make it happen. Don't be daunted.

They will need to be coated. So I cut ciabatta bread thinly and put them in a casserole dish with olive oil on the bottom and commited them to the ovenat 250 degrees till they were toasty. But guess what--I used too much olive oil, and they weren't dry enough to make good crumbs. No matter. I will use them but differently, I think. So back to the chicken which still requires a coat. On a plate, I put about a third a cup of flour for the two breasts, salt,thyme, and pepper. I dredged the breasts in that and placed the first piece on a casserole dish with a smidge of olive oil and about a third of a cup of the marinara sauce I just made. Then I used those danged bread crumbs that were too oily, half of them that is, and on top of that, grated mozzarella and then shaved parmesan, and then another ladel of sauce. Then I did it all over again with the second piece of chicken, etc. At the end I added a final layer of mozzarella and parmesan, and drizzled it with olive oil. Into a 375 degree oven till it was nice and brown and bubbly.

Once done, I let it cool and then sprankled it with freshly chopped parsley for color. The eye deserves to be pleased as well as the palate.

I served it with a tiny salad, because it had been a long day, and I was too tired to go full tilt. But remember, the last meal of the day should include fresh vegetables for good digestion.

It was rich and fulfilling but we didn't overindulge, saving the other half of the casserole for another feast. That is another tip--make good use of your kitchen time.

Eat well and live long, friends!

No comments: