Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Texas Pizza








HOW TO DO IT
This segment is devoted to flavoring your pizza. In this regard, extra virgin olive oil is key. After you've got your crust laid out, brush it nicely with olive oil. If you wish to then use a sauce, it will go on top of oil coat.
For this Texas pizza, I'm using a basil pesto which I purchased from Central Market. It is the closest to my own recipe but a little more cost effective (a good sprig of fresh basil alone costs as much as this small portion I purchased for my pizza). However, for my Tejas flavor, I need to augment with--yes a bit more olive oil, lime juice, and some of my favorite dried powdered chilis. When you apply it to pizza, don't overdo it. Too much sauce can kill a good pizza. You should still be able to see the dough underneath.
Now for the veggies. They, too, need a good coat of flavor--here, you can see how I'm building in some more Texas flavor using cumin. Let this sit for a minute or two before you place them on pizza. Same with onions--pump the flavor. If you want to add fresh sliced serano for real hot fun--add it here. Let 'em absorb their condiments before putting on pizza. Try not to overload the pizza with too many veggies.
Now the cheeses. I stuck with Italian--the mozz and parmesan. Then, I sprankled one last layer of chili powder--a bit more Chimayo and a dash more Habanero. If you've salted through all layers, you won't need to add salt to top, because parmesan is salty. Then--oh yes--drizzle on a bit more olive oil. Bake in hot oven.
DELICIOSO!!

No comments: